Health Occupations
& Technology

Patient Care Technician

– Patient Care Techniciang_PatientCareTech

To be a successful Counselor you should…

  • Enjoy working directly with patients
  • Be able to follow written and verbal instructions
  • Have good manual dexterity
  • Be caring, trustworthy, dependable and honest
  • Be able to make good judgments
  • Have patience and communicate positively with people
  • Have the ability and sensitivity to maintain confidentiality

What will my job be like?

Patient Care Technicians, also called Patient Care Associates, fill a vital role in health care delivery by providing multiple skills such as phlebotomy, EKG, nursing assistant and at times data entry in patient care areas. Patient Care Technicians may work in different departments under the supervision of different licensed personnel, including registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, laboratory and cardiology supervisors.

The Patient Care Technician may provide routine care to patients, take and record vital signs,perform glucose tests, collect specimens for testing, assist in rehabilitative programs, perform phlebotomy venipuncture, obtain electrocardiograms, and may perform unit clerical duties. Familiarity with medical terminology and filing procedures is often required. Strong grammar and spelling abilities are essential. Duties may include word processing, data entry, reception, as well as interaction with vendors and patients.

Where could I work?

Patient Care Technicians work in hospitals, nursing homes, public health clinics, doctor’s offices, independent clinical laboratories, or blood banks.

What is the average annual salary?


What is the future of this career?

Employment of nursing assistants and orderlies is projected to grow 21 percent from 2012 to 2022, faster than the average for all occupations. Because of the growing elderly population, many nursing assistants and orderlies will be needed in long-term care facilities.

What type of education and/or training do I need?

Training can be obtained at regional vocational schools, specialized training centers, community colleges and sometimes is offered by employers. The training usually consists of 100 hours of lecture accompanied by about 250 hours of supervised clinical practice, and program lengths may require part-time or full-time attendance for several months.

Where can I get the education and/or training?


  • Capital Community College, Hartford
  • Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport
  • Middlesex Community College, Middletown
  • Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury
  • Norwalk Community College, Norwalk
  • Quinebaug Valley Community College, Danielson
  • St. Vincent’s College, Bridgeport
  • Stone Academy, East Hartford/West Haven/Waterbury
  • Three Rivers Community College, Norwich
  • Tunxis Community College, Farmington
  • Valley Medical Institute, Bridgeport

Do I need a license or certification for this career?

Certification as a Nursing Assistant is required to be a Patient Care Technician.

Where can I get more information?

Any educational institution or program that has this program available.